The ACCC is warning small business owners and their employees about scammers taking advantage of the Australian government’s early-access to super measures using scams designed to steal your superannuation.
Be careful – Scammers always use disguises by impersonating well-known business and government agencies such as; the Australian Taxation Office, the Department of Health, and multiple others.
Please see the following tips to avoid superannuation scams;
- Never give any information about your superannuation to someone who has contacted you – this includes offers to help you access your superannuation early under the government’s new arrangements.
- Hang up and verify their identity by calling the relevant organization directly – Find them through an independent source such as phone book, past bill or online search
- Check out ACCC’s superannuation early-access scams tact sheet and media release about superannuation scams
- Visit ASIC’s MoneySnmart website for more information on superannuation scams
- You can also find out more about COVID-19 (coronavirus) scams on ACCC’s Scamwatch website